Thursday, January 17, 2013

Icons of Popular Culture


Last week I blogged about how the show, The Biggest Loser, is a great example of a popular culture artifact.  This week I’m going to follow that same theme when choosing three contemporary icons in popular culture.  This season of The Biggest Loser, has the best group of trainers when compared to the combinations from seasons’ past.  The three icons that I have chosen are: Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, and Dolvett Quince.  Each trainer has their own unique style on how they motivate, train, and get the results they’re looking for.  The best characteristic for all three trainers is passion.  They absolutely LOVE being a trainer and helping people meet their fitness goals. 
Bob Harper

Bob Harper has come to be known as the trainer that most fans of the show love to watch.  He has several different certifications in the fitness field.  He’s also spent a lot of time trying to reach out to those that he can’t physically meet by creating exercise DVDs and writing books.  On the other hand, Jillian Michaels is the trainer that most fans love to hate.  She’s got a personality that people either really love or really despise.  Her training style is very in your face, as she tries to breakdown the walls that her clients have built, in order to help them understand why they’re in poor physical shape.  Jillian is able to use personal experience to inspire others because before she became a trainer, she battled obesity herself.  Dolvett Quince also shows that he has a great passion for helping people change to become better.  His motto is, “Hard work.  Dedication.”  He’s often compassionate with his clients and learns what makes them tick.  This works to his advantage because he’ll use that information to motivate them in the gym.

Dolvett Quince
All three of these trainers are role models to me.  About a year ago, I decided I really wanted to set time aside for myself and began working out on a regular basis.  I’m encouraged by the spiritual aspect that Bob Harper brings to his workouts.  I enjoy reminding myself of Dolvett’s motto, especially when I start to waiver from my fitness plan.  Lastly, Jillian Michaels is my favorite trainer from the show.  I love the fact that she doesn’t allow people to just arbitrarily give up on becoming better because “it’s hard” or “I’m not good enough”.  I have a workout partner and we are constantly reminding each other that we push ourselves to the max because we want arms like Jillian.  Have you seen those guns?
Jillian Michaels

Anytime I’m struggling to reach my goals, I think about the success stories that these three trainers have shared with America.  This helps me realize that all the hard work is worth it.  Bob, Jillian, and Dolvett are leading the way for Americans to live a healthy lifestyle and are truly changing lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment