Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Biggest Loser Analysis: Rituals and Stereotypes


If I were to describe The Biggest Loser television show to someone who had never watched it, they would probably express several common stereotypes of the show.  Often times, people who are obese are thought to be that way because they’re lazy.  If you’ve ever seen a preview for the show you’ve most likely seen trainers yelling and out of shape contestants that look like they absolutely hate the exercise portion of the show. 

One common stereotype is that personal trainers are always yelling to motivate people to exercise.  This stereotype is commonly depicted in the show especially when they show Jillian Michaels with her contestants.  Although trainers do yell and sometimes get in people’s faces, it’s not the only way that they motivate people.  More often times than not, they use other methods of motivation.  A couple forms of motivation are: recognizing accomplishments, reminding the contestant that someone else did it faster or better, and reminding the contestant that they’ve done a particular exercise and succeeded.  Another stereotype is that exercising is grueling and no fun.  Especially in the first episode of the season, the show reveals just how hard it is to start working out when your body isn’t used to it.  You’ll see people falling off treadmills, making excuses as to why they can’t exercise, vomiting, and wanting to quit.  What the show rarely shows, especially in the first few episodes, is that exercise can be fun.  There are many activities that you can participate in that are fun exercises.  The gym shouldn’t be thought of as a torture chamber because there are many fun exercises that can be done there as well.

Rituals are important on The Biggest Loser.  There are three important rituals during the show.  The first is the “Last Chance Workout”.  The workout has been named that because it’s the contestants’ last chance during that week to lose any more weight before weighing in.  The second ritual is the “Weigh-In”.  This is where the contestants, in very limited clothing, step up onto the scale in front of their fellow contestants, trainers, and America to see how their hard work has paid off for the week.  Sometimes it’s a victorious moment as the contestant loses a large percentage of their body weight and other times it’s a somber scene as the contestant loses very little, none, or actually gained weight for the week.  This brings us to the third ritual of the show, the red or yellow line.  If a contestant loses less weight than their fellow contestants they may fall below the line on the weight loss board for the week.  If it’s a red line that week, than the contestant is automatically eliminated.  If the line is yellow, than the contestants will choose which of the contestants below the yellow line will be sent home.
 
I think the show does a good job of defying some of the stereotypes that people have placed on it.  For instance, the stereotype that all obese people are lazy is often looked at very deeply by the trainers.  The trainers often uncover the emotional reasons that led to the physical state that the contestants are in.  I’ve found that many people who are obese are that way because they lacked the knowledge of how to eat healthy, exercise, and deal with stress.  I have firsthand experience that personal trainers don’t always get in your face and scream at you to get you motivated.  Actually, I don’t believe that my trainer has ever yelled at me; he may have raised his voice to get my attention and to get me to show more intensity but there are many more ways trainers motivate people.  For instance, I was doing an exercise the other day and my trainer reminded me that one of my friends was able to do the exercise thirty times in a row without stopping.  This motivated me to do it forty-two times before stopping.  By being competitive and finding different ways to exercise, being healthy can be fun.  It’s not always all work and no play.

I enjoy watching the rituals on the show.  I think the Last Chance workouts are a good time to show how much intensity a person can bring to their workout.  Without that intensity there wouldn’t be change.  I try to remind myself to give it my all each time that I workout.  Some days I give more than others but I know that for that session I’m doing the best I can.  I also like the ritual of weighing in on a regular basis.  I wasn’t a big fan of this when I first started working out because my goal wasn’t to lose weight; it was to get fitter.  Now that I’ve been weighing in on a regular basis I enjoy it for two main reasons.  The first is that I get to see my accomplishments a little bit at a time.  The second is merely for accountability.  I know that I don’t want to gain and my trainer is going to read the scale every two weeks with me on it.  This helps me make better day to day decisions about what I’m eating. 

I honestly think that The Biggest Loser does a great job defying stereotypes as well as making ones well known that are true.  I think it’s important for people to understand that laziness is not the only factor that leads to obesity and that working out and getting healthy can be fun.  In order to get healthier you need to be held accountable and that’s where the rituals of the show come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment